The history of the present congregation of St. Peter’s began in 1956, when the Rev’d Jim Scanlon, from St. John’s Church, Portsmouth, started a Sunday School in Collins Bay School. The first worship service also took place at the school in 1957, led by the Rev’d John Hart of Christ Church, Cataraqui. Land for the current church building was purchased in June of 1956 by the Church Extension Committee for the Diocese of Ontario. The official opening was May 1, 1959.
St. Peter’s became part of the Parish of Bath in 1968. On July 1, 1979, the congregation of St. Peter’s, Collins Bay, became a parish of it’s own. The Rev’d Canon J.H. Thompson was appointed Rector at the time. Since then, two more church expansions were undertaken in 1982 and most recently in 2003.